Monday, June 30, 2014

One Crazy Year

I can now successfully say that I survived my first year teaching. It has been a really crazy year, one that I didn't always think I would survive. My first year got off to a rough start. Two days before school started my grandpa passed away. At the time my only thought was why me. Why did he have to die now? Looking back there is a reason why I've always wanted to teach Kindergarten and why I was blessed with the Kindergarten job that I was given. Due to Kindergarten testing school starts two days after the rest of the school. Here is where the blessing comes in. Because Kindergarten started later I was able to take a personal day on my prep day to go to the viewing and I didn't have to get a sub for the second day of school. I have the most amazing coworkers who jumped in and helped me out by making ABC books for me as well as many other things. I was supposed to teach Kindergarten. I started the school year out with 58 students and I ended the year with 46. I got to experience overzealous and in your face parents who believed that their children could do nothing wrong. I made it through two S.E.P. sessions. I made it through one zoo field trip (which is so not as fun as it sounds). I had two students get in school suspension. I had one student get safe schooled. I got to met D.C.F.S. I made many phone calls home. I had many parent meetings. I had many training that I went to as well as the countless meetings. We had class parties where we celebrated our successes and our 100th day of school. My students taught me many things this year. They taught me how to love. How to teach. How to care unconditionally. They taught me how to laugh at the silly moments. I learned how to respond when a student asks you about snail genitalia. I learned how to ask questions and how to ask for help. But most importantly I learned that I was meant to be a Kindergarten teacher. I truly have the best job in the world. Even though my Kinders have now graduated they will always be MY Kinders. My first Kinders. The students that taught me how to be a better teacher and made me realize that this is truly where my heart lies.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you made it through your first year! Congrats! And I'm glad you know you are doing something you love. Hope your next year is even better!

    ReplyDelete